Exams & Assessment
Details were published on Friday 3 April of how grades will be awarded to students taking GCSEs and A Levels.
Ofqual, the organisation which oversees exams and qualifications in this country, has written to students and issued guidance for teachers, students and parents.
Please read the following letter from Mr Knowles which summarises this information and provides links to Ofqual's official guidance:
Important information for Sixth Form students
The latest information about cancellation of exams from the Department for Education can be found HERE
The following is an update based on this information.
If you have any questions please email me at email@example.com Please consider that it might take up to 72 hours to get a response as we are dealing with significant numbers of enquiries.
Please do not contact individual staff members to discuss grades; these will be centrally organised and staff can not give any indication on what grades are likely to be awarded.
Many of you will have received your data point information recently; please be aware that these were completed prior to the school closure and are not the grades that we will be using for the final exams.
Exams & Qualifications
You will not be taking any exams this summer, but you will be awarded a grade for each of your A or AS Levels. These grades will be formal grades with the same status as grades awarded in any other year.
How will this happen?
We will use a variety of information: the Government and the exam boards are currently working on what this may look like.
What if you don’t agree with the grade?
There will be an appeal process and the opportunity to take an exam later in the year.
What should I do now?
- Please remember to stay in touch with each other – check in with your peers and use technology to remain in contact with fellow students.
- Complete all work / homework set by your teachers via Class Charts; this is important for all Sixth Formers. We don't yet have guidance from the Government about how these grades will be created or what work they may require as part of this process.
- You must check your emails and Class Charts regularly and keep in regular contact with staff.
- If you have any coursework or NEA (non-examination assessment) this must be submitted to your class teacher. This is especially important as it could form part of your final grade.
- If you are in Year 12 you must keep all of your notes and carry on with the learning as this will be part of your A2 exam in the summer of 2021: please use Seneca and Class Charts to ensure you are learning the content you are missing by not being in school.
- Ensure you finish the syllabus / course and keep all notes and revision materials safe (you may need these in the future).
- Prepare for university / apprenticeships
- If you intend to start university in September and have not yet completed your student finance application, please ensure this is done as soon as possible.
- Carry on learning: use online platforms to ensure that you are accessing education. I have set some independent work via Class Charts for the entire cohort.
What about my university place?
Universities will accept your grade with the same status as any other year.
They will be flexible and supportive, and will be sending you information directly.
Some universities are now changing offers to unconditional. Do not rush into accepting an unconditional offer. Wait for all offers and make a careful, considered choice before the UCAS deadline (remember this date is different for each student).
BEFORE MAKING ANY DECISIONS PLEASE EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org
Take care, stay well and look after one another.
Head of Post-16
Important Exam Dates
|Entry Deadlines to Exams Office||Actual Entry Deadline|
|November exams||18 September 2020||November exams||2 October 2020|
|BTEC||5 October 2020||BTEC||19 October 2020|
|GCSE Summer exams||8 January 2020||GCSE Summer exams||19 February 2020|
|A Level Summer exams||8 January 2020||A Level Summer exams||19 February 2020|
|Re-sit Deadlines to Exams Office|
|November (GCSE English & Maths only)||18 September 2020|
|Summer||30 November 2019|
|Enquiries About Results (EARs) Deadlines - June Exams||Summer 2019 Exams||Summer 2020 Exams|
|Priority Remark||21 August 2019||19 August 2020|
|Remark||16 September 2019||14 September 2020|
|Access to Scripts (priority)||21 August 2019||19 August 2020|
|Access to Scripts||23 September 2019||22 October 2020|
|Access Arrangement Deadlines|
|Access Arrangements||6 February 2020|
|Modified Papers||9 January 2020|
|AS / A2 Results||Thursday 13 August 2020|
|GCSE Results||Thursday 20 August 2020|
Information about Exams
Information for Candidates
Reasonable Adjustment & Special Consideration Policy (PDF)
Disability Policy (PDF)
Internal Appeals Policy (PDF)
Internal Appeals Procedure (PDF)
Directory of Exam Boards by Subject (PDF)
Exam Fees & Access to Scripts Policy (PDF)